This honey chilli chicken recipe is so simple to make and yet it will have people thinking you’ve gone to a lot of effort! Perfect for a Friday night fakeaway or a dinner party.
If you like the sweetness of a sweet and sour with the kick of chilli then this is for you. You can, of course, add in any vegetables that you like. I used broccoli but carrots, peppers and sweetcorn would also work well.
I served this meal along with some other Chinese style dishes as part of a dinner party. We had a black bean beef, a black bean tofu, pad thai style vegetable noodles and prawn crackers. So good!
Whilst I am aware this dish is quite sweet and high in sugar I am also a firm believer that sometimes we need some sweetness in our life and this is balanced out with the basmati rice and vegetables.
Notes on Ingredients:
- I’ve used chicken thighs in this recipe as they hold the flavour well and are slightly juicier. You could use chicken breast too. This recipe also works well with pork too.
- Feel free to switch the broccoli for the vegetables your family loves. Peppers would work so well in this dish too.
- I purposely haven’t fried the chicken which makes this a healthier dish than the one in your local takeaway.
- If you do not have fresh ginger, garlic and chilli you can substitute. Try lazy garlic where it is pre-chopped in a jar for you. You can use 1.5 tsp ground ginger and some dried chilli flakes.
Reasons you will love this honey chilli chicken recipe:
Why should you try this recipe out?
- It is quick to make, 20 minutes and you’ll have a tasty meal ready.
- The flavours are so good. With the sweetness of the honey and the sweet chilli sauce, the garlic and ginger flavours and then a punch of chilli at the end.
- There isn’t much washing up! That’s one reason we love cooking using the wok.
Give it a go and I’d love to hear how you find it, you can rate the recipe below.
Can I make this vegetarian?
Yes absolutely. I’m a huge fan of tofu and this dish is perfect for tofu too. I’d recommend using firm or extra firm tofu. Remove it from the pack and drain it, placing it on a plate with kitchen towel underneath. After 5 minutes, slice it into chunks and marinade it in the sauces. Cook the oninoe, garlic and ginger first. Add in the broccoli and then gently stir fry in the tofu at the end to prevent it breaking up too much.
My top tofu tip is to cut it up and freeze it. It seems to soak up the flavours better when you defrost it and use it.
Honey Chilli Chicken
- 1 tbsp rape seed oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- chopped chilli
- 1 head of broccoli
- Heat the oil, sauté the onions and garlic and ginger. Add chicken and sauces and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the broccoli, chilli and stir fry until cooked.
- Serve with rice and mixed veggies.
Don’t forget to RATE THIS RECIPE by scrolling down to the comments section. You can also see links for some other recipes such as my spinach and ricotta lasagne.
Try these other recipes to go alongside the honey chilli chicken recipe:
If you have a few people round for dinner, why not add some other delicious side dishes to make a Chinese feast! That is exactly what we did for my husbands birthday. It really can be quick and fun to make. Here are some other recipes I love the sound of:
I love the sound of these Sesame Ginger Noodles with tofu and vegetables
Add extra greens with this stir fried Spinach recipe.
Vegetable stir fried rice is the perfect accompaniment, giving you more vegetables and the rice you need to balance this meal.
Sign up to my newsletter for more yummy recipes and nutrition tips as I love to share!